I have to admit that after reading the book, I watch all of the pre-season football games with a much different perspective than before! I keep watching each player and wondering if they are playing as trying to achieve excellence in their playing or simply trying to be in the spotlight for a time!
The next characteristics from Jon Gordon's book - "Training Camp" follow:
6. "When you wake up in the morning, take a morning walk of gratitude and prayer. It will create a fertile mind ready for success." I do not do this well. Most mornings, I simply get up and start the routine without thinking about an attitude of gratitude (first for waking up!) and prayer. I am working on a better habit for the early mornings but there are still times that it seems to just be going through the motions. "I don't want to go through the motions!" (Song by Matthew West)
7. "When you fear, trust. Let your faith be greater than your doubt." Hard words but no better way to live my life. If God is for us, then who can be against us?
8. "When you fail, find the lesson in it, and then recall a time when you have succeeded." Again - this is something that seems to be a constant struggle for me and probably many others out there. I think our tendency is to see and relive the failure over and over again! That is certainly not God's desire or design for us. Yes - we fail, but He wants us to learn from it, apply the lesson and go on.
9. "When you head into battle, visualize success." If you cannot visualize it - you cannot achieve it. Most never realize the potential for success has to begin in the mind first!
10. When you are thinking about the past or worrying about the future, instead focus your energy on the present moment. The now is where your power is the greatest." Thinking about the past or worrying about the future is a waste of your time and energy. What is now - present - is where you need to spend that energy!