Google Ads

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Soothe the Soul

Music soothes the soul or so they say! Some music rattles my soul rather than soothing it. You know - the ones that you can feel the heavy beat in your heart and hear through their rolled up car windows and yours!!! But I like different types of music. I listen to Christian radio most of the time but we have a library of different CD's and a variety of genre.

Tonight is Wednesday which means a long evening of music for my spouse and me. We sing in our church choir and in an adult ensemble, both of which practice on Wednesday. I quite often leave from work and just make it to the first of these practices. We sing different types of music in our adult choir, which is actually 2 different choirs - one for special performances and one for regular Sunday morning service. Our director can be very intimidating or very frustrating but he normally can get sound out of our choir that is truly amazing. (That said - all the glory goes to God - not the director and not the musicians.) We do a Christmas program, a Easter program, a Patriotic program and sometimes just an extra program every year (at least every year we've lived here). That is in addition to music prepared for every Sunday morning of the year and many Sunday evenings. So to have that much music prepared, we have to be able to utilize a variety of types. There may be old-time gospel, contemporary Christian, rock (not hard but definitely different), jazz, and just about any other type you can name. Not everyone likes every piece of music but all is practiced and used to bring our church family to a place of worship when we sing. Isn't that what it's all about anyway - to worship God. After all - He's the audience we're playing for, not the people. Music is such a vital part of my life - and I am very grateful to be able to participate. Please hear me when I say that I do not have a great voice but I love to sing and I love to worship. I can lose all sense of where I am when singing to worship. I wish it were that way with other disciplines in my life.

Just my thoughts for today! Happy Wednesday.

3 comments:

Sandy Kessler said...

Singing praises to our Lord sweet music

Kathy said...

I understand what you mean about music. It is such an important part of my life also.

Stylin said...

Hi Strawberry
I love the classic hymns.It fills my soul and renews it!