Google Ads

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Family - Friend or Foe

The topic is not actually about family fights. In our family, foe does not come into play, although there were times when it seemed that way. I am the oldest of 4 children in our family. My parents worked hard to make sure we always had what we needed and some of what we wanted. They also required that we do chores (Horrors!!!) and get a job when we were old enough. It wasn't necessarily something that was written down in a family contract - nor did we have family meetings very often - other than around the dinner table. My parents made sure we knew what they expected. Now they certainly did not always get what they expected - sometimes it was better - most times it was worse! When it was worse, we found out that my parents were not there as friends - they were there as parents! It seems that is something that has been lost in this day. Today my parents are my friends, but growing up - they were my parents. As parents, we have a responsibility to see that our children grow up to be responsible, moral, law-abiding citizens of this world we call home! That job is not easy, nor is it a lot of fun, but is is absolutely the most important role you can have in this life. My parents took that very seriously.

They also made sure that we had times to have fun. We had family vacations (I have posted about some of my summer memories in previous posts), got to spend time with our grandparents, and had fun with friends at our house! With 2 girls and 2 boys, cooking was divided up during the summer (once we were old enough to cook). 1 girl and 1 boy had to plan the menu, give Mom the grocery list, prepare, cook and clean up. My sister was (and still is) a great cook. She and one of my brothers always had a great meal planned and it always turned out great! My ventures were not quite so good and the brother that got stuck with me - well he was pretty well stuck!!!

My parents also made sure that we understood that living in America was a privilege that was gained for us by someone else's sacrifice! We went to the Veteran's Day parade (our town had one every year), stood and sang when the National Anthem was played and placed our hand over our hearts! I still get teary eyed when the flag waves and the Star Spangled Banner is played at various events. I also always sing (although not necessarily well).

All of this is a tribute to the 2 people who raised me. Mom and Dad, I love you both and hope you know what a precious gift you are to your children!

5 comments:

WomanHonorThyself said...

stunning post girl!..ah yes parents who are parents and not vying to be friends!..great stuff!

Incognito said...

Lovely tribute.

I wonder if that's the problem with the youth of today.

Missy said...

Thank you to both. Some days it would be a lot easier just to try to be a friend, but that's not what we're called to do as parents! Somewhere along the way - some of my generation has lost that concept!

Frasier said...

That is exactly what is wrong with kids today....parents should be parents.All this I am your friend stuff has lead to the ruin of many a child who just needed a stern word or a spanking!Of course...I dont have any kids !

Missy said...

Frasy - you are so right. And you do have to have mercy with your children, but also help them realize there will always be consequences to their actions! That is such a hard lesson to teach, but it is even harder to have to learn on your own without any guidance!