Google Ads

Friday, July 27, 2007

The Legs




Okay - a few weeks ago I included a comment about the legs statue between Canyon and Amarillo! Now I have pictures. The Amarillo Globe News had an article about the legs that were put up by Stanley Marsh 3. I have also included a link to the story at the bottom of the page. Go read about it - nothing too heavy or serious tonight. Just saw the article this morning and knew I had to include it in today's post!

Enjoy!
(Both photos were taken by Henry Bargas with the Amarillo Globe News)
http://www.amarillo.com/stories/072707/new_8083183.shtml



Now see the legs after removing the socks~











7 comments:

WomanHonorThyself said...

interesting Stawberry!

Missy said...

It was either his father or grandfather who "planted" the Cadillacs out west of Amarillo. A real tourist site to behold - Cadillacs with their rear fins sticking out of the ground! :)

Anonymous said...

It was Stanley Marsh who supported Ant Farm to do the cadillacs. I followed the link to the Globe but it required registration so I just will stay w/ your photos. I love the legs statue~~~ Were the socks for real -- I would imagine so as it looks like a photoshop job below to take them off.

I love art that makes you stop and think.

Missy said...

Motherpie - the socks were painted on (also had nails polished at one time) but were sand blasted off as apparently additional graffiti was being added!

Stanley 3 also included a poem by Percy Shelley

"Ozymandias"
By Percy Bysshe Shelley
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: 'Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear --
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Frasier said...

WOW!That our Stonehenge !Impressive though!

Incognito said...

Too funny! They have a tan line.. at least as far as I can tell.

I like the legs naked.

Missy said...

They do appear to have a tan line!

Our own Stonehenge - funny stuff!