Google Ads

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

My Way!

I have had an ongoing complaint about some of the sitcoms that have been around for the last several years. It seems the way to a laugh is to make the man of the house a bumbling, sexist idiot and the woman is the leader, always making the correct decisions, saying the right things, etc. I am really ashamed of most of the programs but my teenager reminds me that it is supposed to be comedy. However, if that is all this generation sees for an example of a marriage or family, how will they know it's not true? I understand that we mock things of real life to help us cope and laughter is a great stress reliever. My issue is - if there was a program that depicted the woman in the same light, the producer, director, and even network would be vilified in the press and by "Rights" groups around the globe!

The episode tonight was "Everybody Loves Raymond". The issue was making decisions in the family and who has to compromise all the time. Of course, Ray was the one who felt he had to give in every time and his wife tells him she is making (and will continue to) all the decisions in their household. I hope my children have seen enough in our family that they realize it is not supposed to be the same person who has to give in all the time. My spouse is great at letting things go that are not important. Me - I'm not so good at it. I am learning (after 25 years) but haven't reached the top yet. There are issues that we see everyday that we should never be willing to compromise our beliefs - faith, family, morals, character - those are all areas that should be solid ground with no give! But there are areas in a marriage (or any relationship for that matter) that you have to be willing to give some of the time. No one should expect to get their way all the time!

In addition - for those who follow the Bible - that is not what God's Word teaches. I have to go back to His Word for my guidance. More than anything else, I hope my children have seen and learned the final answer is always God's Word. Final Answer!

7 comments:

WomanHonorThyself said...

hiya hun..dont get me started on todays TV shows..lol..I'll be ranting for weeks!

Frasier said...

That was a great post.I saw that episode of Raymond on Wednesday and thought the exact same thing.
I was raised and taught that the man is the head of the household and the wife is a respected part of the marriage.
I guess everyone is out to get what they can and when they dont its over !
I have been here 5 years and ahve seen so many marriages fail because they just were "done" !
Again FAN-TAS-TIC post !

Missy said...

Frasypoo - Thank you for the comment and for visiting. Come again!

Incognito said...

Amen to that, Strawb!
The best marriages, relationships, etc. are give and take...Balance is so important, in everything...

Danny Wright said...

I've been poking around on your blog this morning, great blog. I saw you at Incog. She has the best visitors. My comment is that I've given up on TV. I proabably watch less than a couple of hours a year of public programming, and that mostly due to insomnia. Even if the program was decent, the commericals would not miss the opportunity to offend.

Missy said...

Danny - Thanks for checking out the posts! Amen to the comment about commercials! Even if the show is decent the commercials are horrendous!!

Missy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.